Laptops are prone to get heated. The bottom of the laptop gets very hot and it gets almost very difficult to keep it on the lap. Heating of a laptop makes a laptop slow and no matter how many times you install a window or delete files from the system, it will still get hot. But there are different ways to fix this.
The first thing that we have to know is why it happens. It usually happens when dust is stuck in the fans and it blocks the ventilation of the system.
Some people would take apart the whole laptop and on reassembling it, it would still act up as the same. But seldom people know that there are different ways to fix a laptop without taking it apart and some of the most effective ways, we have discussed below.
- Get a Temperature Tracking Software: there are some temperature tracking software that also have the ability to fix the issues that are causing the laptop to heat up. You can find different software online and all you have to do is open this software in the background and see from time to time why this is happening and when this is happening.
- Close Heavy Apps and Software: the best way to cool down your system is to see what apps and software are consuming the most load and if you are not using them then close them. Sometimes, such apps and software are running in the background and we don’t even know. To close them fully, open the task manager and see which apps and software are consuming power in the figure and simply close them.
- Disable CPU Turbo Boost: this works differently for different laptops – it may work for some and may not work for some laptops. You must be thinking that what is a CPU Turbo Boost! Well, what it does is overclock your CPU so that it keeps updating the demanded tasks. You might have to compromise on the performance. Now, the question arises, how to disable turbo boost on Windows 10 laptop? follow the following steps to do so:
- Open control panel.
- Click on hardware and sound.
- Select power options.
- Click on change plan settings.
- Change advanced power settings.
- Expand processor power management.
- Expand maximum processor state.
- Change the value to 99%.
Doing this, your laptop will cool down to 20%.
- Re-configure Fan Curve: if you think that your laptop is getting hot because the fan is not spinning fast then you can increase the fan curve. You will get a louder laptop but it won’t get hot. It is not recommended by the manufacturers and different laptops have different ways of increasing the fan curve. Try looking in the BIOS settings for fan settings or use the software like Speedfan or MSI AfterBurner – such software allows you to check how to increase the fan speed.
- Clean the Air Vents: if the air vents are blocked, use compressed air to dust off the dirt and residue from the vents. You can also use a vacuum cleaner near the vents.
- Cap Frame Rate on Video Games: this is the solution for pro gamers who do have a heavy system but still they face difficulty in keeping the laptop cool. This happens when the game’s refresh rate is high because it keeps showing unnecessary frames. To fix this, all you have to do is enable the V-Sync in the game’s graphic settings – it will lock the game’s frame rate and reduce the refresh rate.
- Get a Laptop Cooling Pad: laptops can get hot due to different reasons, some of them are also because of small components in the laptop that are not known but the software and they have to heat up and that is why you need cooling aid pads. There are different kinds of cooling pads found in the market and even online.
- Poor Laptop Design: if you have tired all this and it still does not work, then there is a sure reason that it is the manufacturer’s fault. There are a lot of laptops in the market which have a design that is considered bad when it comes to adjusting heat and cold of the laptop. The only way to fix it is contact the manufacturer and ask them for a fix.
You must also know that the acceptable rate of heat on regular laptops should be 70 to 90 Celsius. As long as the laptop’s GPU and CPU are under 100 degrees, it is fine and you should not worry about its heating issue. But if the temperature reaches more than the mentioned temperature, then you know what to do – try all the above methods and let us know what kind of laptop you had and which one worked out best for your case.